Why Prepare These Sweet Potato Brownies?
- These sweet potato brownies are bursting with nutrients! Sweet potatoes are rich suppliers of vitamin A and fiber, which promote heart, digestive, skin, and eye health.
- Swapping cooking oil with applesauce not only saves on calories from fat, but still offers the desirable, moist brownies you desire!
- Well, because they are delicious and a guilt-free dessert option for any occasion!
Easy Sweet Potato Brownies
1 large sweet potato, peeled and pureed
½ cup almond or peanut butter
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
½ cup oat or whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 375°F. Line a 9” X 9” pan with parchment paper and grease well with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processer, mix sweet potato, almond or peanut butter, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, and egg until completely smooth.
- Add all of the dry ingredients into the food processor and mix until fully incorporated into a batter.
- Pour and spread brownie batter evenly into pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the center is completely cooked through, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool for 15 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into squares and enjoy the sweet (potato) goodness!
Additional Tips and Ideas
- For a certified gluten-free alternative, verify the oat flour is in fact gluten-free, along with experimenting with coconut and almond flour.
- In addition to preparing healthy brownies with applesauce, mix up this four-ingredient applesauce chocolate frosting! Coat the brownies with the frosting and garnish with chopped nuts as desired.
- Make the ultimate nutritious brownie a la mode by pairing with this avocado ice cream and topping with chopped peanuts, sprinkles, cherries, and whipped cream as desired.