When you hear “Let’s hit the bar!” your mind likely drifts to a countertop with countless alcoholic bottles sporting behind it. Or, for those fitness fanatics, perhaps a Friday night gym session with the barbell.
But there is a new trend that caters to cocktail connoisseurs and health enthusiasts alike. Bars across the U.S. are serving up non-alcoholic drinks rich in fresh flavors and nutrients. Boozeless craft cocktails are also an innovative and satisfying option for all to feel included, sans alcohol.
In fact, the company Seedlip is “on a mission to change the way the world drinks with the highest quality non-alcoholic options.” Non-alcoholic cocktails created by Curious Elixirs also “combine ONLY organic juices, spices, herbs, roots, barks, and botanicals.”
See why people in the restaurant industry and health world are flocking to these alcohol alternatives. Better yet, find out how to make a mocktail that is sure to please!
Why Buy Into Alcohol Alternatives?
Alcohol is often at the core of celebrations and Friday night get-togethers.
So why sip on a glass of doctored club soda rather than a glass of wine (or more)? Here are 4 positive effects of forgoing the booze:
1. Avoid Hangovers
You may already know the side effects of too much alcohol if happy hour got too happy… High alcohol consumption can lead to those notorious hangovers with a nagging headache, nausea, and fatigue.
But sipping on a refreshing glass of ginger ale with fruity garnishes will leave you feeling energized for that early morning workout!
2. Improve Physical and Mental Health
Alcohol abuse can negatively impact both short and long-term health. In fact, too much alcohol can even lead to organ damage and failure.
Jumping on the non-alcoholic cocktail bandwagon can lower these risks and lead to many health benefits, including:
- Weight loss and maintenance
- Improved digestion
- Sharper concentration and other cognitive processes
- Brighter skin complexion
- Protects the heart from disease
- Better sleep cycles
- Boosted immune system
- Reduced anxiety and depressive feelings
3. Increase Safety
The effects of alcohol can truly be dangerous if consumed in excess. In fact, drinking too much can even be lethal to the consumer and innocent victims.
Ordering up a virgin Long Island Iced Tea can keep safety behind the wheel and lower the risk of an accident. It can also halt other lowered inhibitions tied to poor decisions, including property damage and physical assault.
4. Create Memorable Connections
Drinking alcohol may crack open a social butterfly, but the conversations had may not be remembered.
Eliminating alcohol in a social setting can create memorable connections and even strengthen your relationship with others. A clear mind brings out your authentic, most genuine self.
4 Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Sure to Please
From a coffee cocktail to a margarita mocktail, these alternatives to drinking alcohol are sure to please and impress!
1. Coffee Cocktail Without the Booze
Brunch without the booze with this coffee cocktail featuring cold brew, coconut milk, and other tasty ingredients.
- 4 ounces cold brew
- 2 ounces coconut milk
- 2 ounces soda water
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine cold brew and coconut milk. Shake until chilled and combined then strain into a tall glass filled with ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with a cherry or orange slice.
2. Pineapple Margarita Mocktail
Margaritas may be traditionally blended with tequila, but this alcohol alternative challenges that standard!
Pro tip: Sip with these breakfast or dessert tacos for that next #TacoTuesday.
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 orange, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 4 ounces flavored soda water such as lemon-lime
- For a marg on the rocks: Add pineapple, orange, and lime juices to a cocktail shaker with the agave and ice. Shake vigorously then strain into a margarita with fresh ice. Top with soda water and a fresh slice of pineapple as desired.
- For a frozen marg: Blend all ingredients, besides soda water, with ice to reach desired consistency. Swapping pineapple juice for frozen pineapple chunks also enhances the frozen texture without diluting the flavor.
3. Warm Spiced Apple Cider
Because this recipe serves five, the whole group can cozy up to a warm glass of apple cider that is spiced so nice!
- 5 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients into a large saucepan and let simmer for 30 minutes to unleash and marry the flavors.
- Strain the mixture into a heat-proof pitcher.
- Serve in mugs and garnish with a dash of ground cinnamon and fresh orange slice.
4. Cantaloupe Mint Mocktail Spritzer
Minty, fruity, and non-boozy, this cantaloupe mint mocktail spritzer is one you will one to cheers to and with!
- 1 cup fresh cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces sparkling water
- Optional: fresh mint sprig
- In a blender, puree cantaloupe, honey, and mint leaves. Pour through a strainer, discard the pulp, and add juice to a cocktail glass with ice.
- Top with sparkling water and dress with a fresh mint sprig.