Whether at happy hour or celebrating National Beer Day, popping open and pouring out a beer may just be the answer you asked for. And while beer can certainly fit into a well-balanced diet, high-calorie beers and too much of them may pour out all that hard work brewed towards reaching weight loss goals.
So if curious if your beer of choice is a more healthful selection, here is a list of the best and worst beers!
Brewing Up Recommendations
Brewing opinions of beer intake tends to be poured out in two separate glasses, with some evidence touting beer as a protector against chronic diseases while others suggesting it leads to that notorious beer belly.
But the disparity lies within the concept of moderation, as evolving research implies sticking to the recommended alcoholic intake (men limited to two drinks per day while women are limited to one) can defend against disease and lessen the risk of pouring out numerous calories. (And not to mention reducing the likelihood of unpleasant effects that follow a brew binge…)
As a general rule of thumb, choosing “light” beers may be the best selection to adhere to weight loss goals. Additionally, the greater the alcohol content, generally the greater the calorie count.
If curious whether or not your beer of choice is a more healthful selection, here is list of 30 of the highest and lowest calorie beers, along with their carbohydrate content, primarily based on traditional 12-ounce servings.
High-Calorie Beers List
Packed in calories and carb, stay weary of these brews.
- Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale: 330 calories, 32 grams carb
- Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss: 207 calories, 28 grams carb
- Budweiser American Ale: 182 calories, 18 grams carb
- Sam Adams Boston Lager: 180 calories, 19 grams carb
- Michelob Honey Lager: 178 calories, 19 grams carb
- Guinness Extra Stout: 176 calories, 14 grams carb
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: 175 calories, 14 grams carb
- Harpoon IPA: 170 calories, 12 grams carb
- George Killian’s Irish Red: 162 calories, 15 grams carb
- Anchor Steam: 158 calories, 14 grams carb
- Stella Artois: 154 calories, 13 grams carb
- Magic Hat #9: 153 calories, 15 grams carb
- Michelob Dark Lager: 152 calories, 12 grams carb
- Coors: 149 calories, 12 grams carb
- Corona Extra: 148 calories, 14 grams carb
Low-Calorie Beers List
Enjoy a beer and lose weight, too, with these healthiest beer selections!
- Budweiser Select 55: 55 calories, 2 grams carb
- Beck’s Premier Light: 64 calories, 4 grams carb
- Natural Light: 95 calories, 3 grams carb
- Michelob Ultra: 95 calories, 3 grams carb
- Amstel Light: 95 calories, 5 grams carb
- Miller Light: 96 calories, 3 grams carb
- Budweiser Select: 99 calories, 3 grams carb
- Corona Light: 99 calories, 5 grams carb
- Heineken Light: 99 calories, 7 grams carb
- Yuengling Lager Light: 99 calories, 9 grams carb
- Coors Light: 102 calories, 5 grams carb
- Keystone Light: 104 calories, 5 grams carb
- Bud Light: 110 calories, 7 grams carb
- Bud Light Lime: 116 calories, 8 grams carb
- Sam Adams Light: 119 calories, 10 grams carb